Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Dearth

Okay. Short post tonight. I'm trying to get some Z's before the GRE tomorrow - I was up late tonight sucking out on analogies (CREDENCE:GULLIBLE::WHAT THE:FUCK IS THE ANSWER I DON'T EVEN SEE A QUESTION HERE), and now I've resigned myself to obscurity in the hopes that, by setting expectations low, anything will be a supreme, utter delight.

Have you noticed I like the word "utter"? I like words that communicate the depths of things, words that sit on the boundaries between sense and non-sense, capture the bigness of ideas.

The title of tonight's mini-post is in reference to a word I thought I knew and put on my grad school statement of purpose, i.e. "The dearth of experienced faculty members," and it turns out it does not mean what I thought it meant. "Dearth," to me, sounds like abundance. A dearth of corn. A dearth of money. No. No sir. "Dearth" means the absence of said thing, i.e. the ABSENCE of experience faculty. I wish Word had an "Idiot" check in addition to their Spell Check (though, since it's made by Microsoft, it would be setting itself off all the time and trying to correct itself interminably).

So. If anything, the GRE saved me some embarrassment, so long as it doesn't prove an embarrassment in and of itself!

I had an amazing weekend with Jessie. I awoke each morning to a made breakfast, sun shining through the windows in the brightly-lit living room of her Berkeley Springs apartment, and each day was spent doing fun things and gathering more stories to tell each other. I promise details - a big long post after my test. I haven't been smoking or drinking - not out of some idealistic, motivated effort to stop but out of fear of getting fat and dying of cancer. I'll take it. If the DeLorean can run on whiskey, man, then fill her up.

But now, I sleep. And wake. And test. And wonder.

Wish me luck.

-m

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the GRE man!

Awesomefellow said...

(Hey - it gave me my name back)

"Hunt for the Holocron's most auspicious, er... precarious past"

Martin said...

Haha! Yes. Words. I should like to work on them some more (just got back from the test... will post later).

Anonymous said...

(Hey - it took my name away again)

Well, that's your prerogative.

Martin said...

Don't make me come down there. That damn joke has been the bane of my existence for four years.