Monday, April 18, 2005

The Middle of Things

Wow, I do not know what it is that compels me to stick my nose into other people's drama. It must be the 'save the world' gene that I inherited; when I see people I love in pain, I cannot help but want to become personally involved and fix the problem.

I used to pride myself on the number of people who confided in me, but more recently people have been more guarded with what they say to me. When someone says, "Don't tell anyone," I say nothing. Well, except to Jessie, but she doesn't count. Not that I can't keep a secret from her, but it's nice to bear the burden of the truth with someone else. I guess I've just come to realize that all these 'secrets' we're keeping from one another are only dangerous because we're trying to keep them secret...

Anyways, the whole motivation for this post is that I'm embroiled in the middle of some drama in my family, and both sides have been really hurt by the other. Stubborness is genetic, I guess. It amazes me how a conversation about nothing can blow up into a really damaging conversation about nothing. I used to laugh at the thought that Helen's face could launch a thousand ships, but this recent experience has me convinced me that Helen could have been a bucktoothed-wildebeast and those crazy Greeks/Trojans would still have fought to the death. I, for one, am a fan of people working through issues, however painful, because in the end you've fought for the genuine relationship.

Anyways, we had an awesome weekend in Baltimore at the premiere. WAY too much fun, and a good film to boot. Check out Spitzfire.com in a few days for the full run-down!

Also, I'd like to give a shout out to Jess, who is going on her first job interview tomorrow. Good luck, sweetie! You can do it :)