Tuesday, December 04, 2007

The 100th Post

Dear Reader,

Woo! Light some candles! Sing that copyrighted song! The Captain's Blog, started in earnest in, dear God, 2005, has hit its 100th post. For those who are new to the blog, welcome. You are entering a strange, passionately over-generalized yet highly amusing world. For those of you who are regulars, welcome back! You honor me by returning every day (except Wednesday... nobody visits on Wednesday). Thank you!

I had a lot of competing ideas about what the 100th post should be about. Should it be very short, containing only a humorous picture? Should be it a long recounting of the amazing weekend I just had?

Jessie had a great idea. In honor of the 100th post, she suggested that I make a list of 100 things. The question was, 100 of what? I thought about doing "100 Things I Hate About Windows XP," which would not only be highly satisfying but would get a head start on the 200th post, "100 More Things I *Really* Hate About Windows XP." I thought of listing the top 100 blog moments, making some fabulous blog retrospective, but that seemed way too appropriately narcissistic and, frankly, redundantly redundant.

The winning idea is this: Martin's Top 100 Moments of 2007. Not my favorite moments, not the best moments. These are the top moments, the "Hitler as Man of the Year 1939" moments, the ones that changed me, moved me, taught me, inspired me, humiliated me. They are mistakes, triumphs, failures, wild successes. Some are comprehensible by anyone, others belong only to me. They are not listed in any particular order, only the one in which I think of them. [Captain's Note: If I left out a moment you think should be here, don't be upset. Exact your revenge by leaving a comment!]

En guarde.

Martin's Top 100 Moments of 2007

100. The reaction of Jessie's mom to the new engagement ring ("Oh my God!")
99. Learning how to hold a cigarette with Emily ("Don't Bogey it.")
98. Playing pool with Brian Holland and his roommate.
97. Watching the sunrise with Dave at Ohiopyle.
96. Stabbing the Darth Vader pinata through the heart with a shattered badminton pole while surrounded by great friends.
95. My last game with Hit The Deck after 11 seasons.
94. Eating the $18 Wagyu fillet at Mark's amazing dinner for us at Ono.
93. Laying a flower on Gran's casket.
92. Quitting the Apple Store, even though I loved working there, because I knew I was leaving town and didn't want to learn the new material about the iPhone.
91. Wading into the Gulf of Mexico at midnight, stumbling drunk and crying.
90. Missing my graduation ceremony after 4.5 years of school.
89. Writing the paper "Experience as a Problematic Rhetorical Strategy for the Wife of Bath" and getting an 'A' from a professor I respected more than any other at Pitt.
88. Being rejected by Georgetown in DC, accepted by Northwestern in IL, and then moving to DC with no job and no plan.
87. Getting hammered on White Russians at "Big Lebowski Night" with the 5725 crew.
88. The two hours gathering soil for the garden with Nate.
87. Eating Blue Bell ice cream at Vicky's house.
86. Fighting over, and completely resolving, an argument with my father.
85. Landing in Atlanta for a connection flight and feeling like I was descending into a city in the clouds.
84. Realizing that I had finally earned Carl's respect.
83. Having to re-shoot the first Dregr scene at midnight after accidentally taping over it.
82. Talking about World of Warcraft with the kid before going on stage in Peoria.
81. The night spent at the hotel with Jessie in Philadelphia.
80. Watching the "Our Mrs. Reynolds" episode of Firefly with Mat.
79. Walking a half-mile into the ocean in ankle-deep water and seeing the cloud of green fish swim around my feet.
78. Fireworks show at Ben and Tara's house over the 4th of July.
77. Waking up at 5 AM to go fishing with Dad and Mark.
76. Falling off of a jet-ski with Jess in the Gulf of Mexico and being surrounded by wild dolphins (I need to stay away from Gulf of Mexico, apparently).
75. Attending the labor day concert on the capital lawn, drinking the free water and listening to amazing music.
74. Going to McDonald's in the rented Mustang to get cheeseburgers off the dollar menu at 11:30 PM.
73. Smoking Kahlua cigars and drinking Heineken, watching the rain, and then shooting off fireworks at the beach.
72. Giving the April 12th concert with Bryan and duetting on "Super Mario Brothers."
71. Lying in Jeffrey's pool talking about the future while a thunderstorm raged around us.
70. Tooch and Jeep's Halloween party and me putting my face in the fire and breaking a chair.
69. Tubing down the Conequenessen and trying to rescue Jess only to pull her down the river without a tube.
68. My night at the priory with Jess for her birthday. Yum!
67. John Williams concert at the Kennedy Center.
66. Walking in front of the tractor-trailer sobbing, screaming "This is who I am!!!" and barely making it off the road in time before getting killed.
65. Smoking on my back lying underneath the billboard texting Emily and asking, "Why is this so hard?"
64. Showing off my junk to Jessie's friends.
63. Mark's superhuman drive off the 18th tee at the 2nd Annual SSCC Invitational.
62. The snowmobiling jumping contest at Chautauqua.
61. Seeing Jenn again and doing her ADR in two hours.
60. Filming with Jeffrey and Luke and Rebecca on the old soundstage.
59. Blowing out the candles on my 25th birthday surrounded by my favorite people.
58. Eating Dave's falafel and storyboarding with him and Steph.
57. Sitting behind the wall and drinking Maneshevitz (sp?) at Mary's Kay's wedding
56. Shoving the TV up the steps in Alexandria after having dropped it on Jessie's finger necessitating a midnight run to CVS.
55. Catching no fish on the fishing trip but still managing to see: amazing dolphins, two sea turtles, and an endangered sunfish.
54: Going to Rochester with Mom to see Tony and Lisa.
53. Hanging out with Deimel and Sara for the first time in three years.
52. Meeting up with an old friend after 7 years of hard feelings.
51. DoubleShot performing in the lobby of Dave and Busters.
50. Playing at after-hours with Brian for the first time in Sedalia.
49. Showing the polio trailer to WQED bigwigs while being dressed like an itinerant guitarist.
48. Running out of money on my way to Alex Bay.
47. Smoking a hookah naked and drunk on vodka.
46. Seeing King Tut's dagger in Philadelphia, the most beautiful man-made thing I have ever seen.
45. Going to the Renaissance Festival with Mat.
44. Finding out there was nothing in the tunnel after all.
43. Snorkeling with Mark and Jess and Jasmine off the island with the deserted fort.
42. Playing the piano at the market in downtown Philly.
41. Getting drunk on $8 Lambrusco with Mat and Jess while scarfing Chewy Chips Ahoy and playing Dirty Minds
40. Dave calling at 10 AM to offer me a 5lb bag of spaghetti when I had no money.
39. The three-figure amazing dinner at La Bergerie with the Caesar Salad and the raw egg and the fish and the souflee and the escargot soup.
38. Laughing at the crazy man at the wax museum who ran his wheelchair up and down the line hassling for hand-outs yet could somehow afford the museum.
37. Eating at the rib crib with Bill and Jess.
36. Randomly calling Steph and talking for over an hour about everything.
35. Eating not one but TWO turkey legges.
34. Recording my CD with Bryan over two days in August.
33. Eating the best seafood dinner of my life at the Salt Rock Grill in Indian Springs, FL (oh my God the crab legs).
32. The call from Emma that I had gotten the job after all.
31. After-hours at the piano with John and Gabriel, a.k.a 20-minute "Amazing Grace" and 12th Street Rag in all the keys.
30. Emily and I walking up to Jeffrey's house and crashing his birthday party after having not seen him for 5 years and 2 years, respectively.
29. "Ticklish Tom" duet with Bryan on Saturday afternoon in the John Stark Tent.
28. Watching "Airplane" with Brian Holland and howling like teenagers the whole night about "Dick Hyman."
27. King of the Hill contest at Chautauqua.
26. Sleeping in the Egyptian cotton at Nawal's, eating an amazing dinner, and sharing a Tetley with Petley.
29. Ordering Chinese food with Tony and hearing him read my liner notes out loud.
28. Making the list of family questions in Wooster.
27. Curling up in front of the fire at WW'07 and nearly dozing off.
26. Putting the bike rack on my car with Dad.
25. The first time I held Sean Christian Gaines (my hand was bigger than he was!)
24. Sleeping in the twin at Mom's house over the summer.
23. Getting my health care card in the mail.
22. Riding in the car with Vicky, Dan, Evan, Jeffrey and laughing our asses off about the rough neighborhood dominated by "the shovel people."
21. Wednesday night performance at Sedalia in the tuxedo with tails.
20. Meeting Richard Dowling.
19. Arranging "Swanee" on a Thursday night and performing it in competition on Sunday.
18. Sitting in the editing room with Carl at 4 AM and talking about life.
17. Co-Hosting the radio show with Bryan and helping him move out of his apartment.
16. Smoking on the porch with Scott.
15. Going to not one but TWO Steelers games (both mysteriously against the Bengals).
14. Watching "Planet Earth" with the roommates.
13. Throwing lessons with Dave W.
12. Chris C., after not seeing me play dodgeball for months, exclaiming, "When did Martin learn how to throw? Holy crap!"
11. Walking the abandoned Drake line at dusk with Mat.
10. Losing at Peoria after everyone told me I was "number 1."
9. Getting the care package from Mr. C.
8. Presenting on the post-modern, dystopian elements of "Crash" to my film class.
7. Sex on the third night of the Florida vacation (holy yikes).
6. Decorating the apartment with Jess.
5. Writers' Weekend forest walk.
4. Emily dancing to the "The Charleston Rag."
3. The first time I heard the voice of my therapist.
2. The last time I ever took Paxil.
1. Touching Gran's shoulder at her viewing.

Wow. Okay, that was hard. And then easy. And then hard again, because I had too many. What a year. I can't believe how far I traveled to get back to where I am. Thank you for being there for me, behind me, with me, and beside me. More adventures on the way, no doubt.

Your,
Martin

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, good times.
But you should never be in a pool during a thunderstorm!

Vicky said...

SPACE BATTLE!

Emily DePrang said...

Even though I didn't know what most of those were about, they sounded wonderful. You have a rich life, Martin, and I'm so happy I get to share a little of it. Congratulations.

Tons of love,
Emily

DW said...

The "throwing lessons" could have been the defining moment of my career, let alone '07. To mold one of the best catchers in PSL history, with little if any prior throwing experience, into a dangerous thrower was a challenge matched only by Kronos teaching young Zeus the art of throwing lightning bolts. And I would still take your transformation to be the greater achievement. What do you think of that one oh "Wielder of the Bolt"? Don’t worry, you could take him. You got better hands.

I would definitely put the epic Risk game on the list. So many key moments: the epic Risk mix, Scott’s duplicitous back-stabbing, Mark’s steadfast defense of North America, Shaggy’s bloodthirsty attacks on South America and Africa, your stronghold on Australia, and my tenuous and often suicidal defense of Europe. World domination was never so thrilling.

Martin said...

You guys are awesome.

Anonymous said...

[size=72][color=red][url=http://www.go4you.net/go.php?sid=24]ENTER ON SOFTWARE PORTAL[/url][/color][/size]

[size=46][color=red][url=http://www.go4you.net/go.php?sid=24]DOWNLOAD SOFT![/url][/color][/size]

[img]http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/4762671/2/istockphoto_4762671-software-box.jpg[/img]

[size=46][color=red][url=http://www.go4you.net/go.php?sid=24]OEM SOFTWARE[/url][/color][/size]

[size=72][color=red][url=http://www.go4you.net/go.php?sid=24]DOWNLOAD SOFTWARE[/url][/color][/size]

[size=72][b]Buy ovet software [/b][/size]
[size=72][b]Load ovet software programms to [/b][/size]
[size=72][b]Load ovet soft Mac OS[/b][/size]

http://www.google.com/