Tuesday, November 06, 2007

A Love Note from the Office

I moved my desk around today.  I turned it 90-degrees.  People came from all across the office to see my new setup.  "This is so nice," they said.  "It's really cozy!"  I can't tell if they're jealous or they just don't want me to be mad that I sit in a corner all day, but either way I found the attention highly entertaining. 

Isn't it funny how things that we would barely care about outside of work become this huge deal when we're at work?  It is fascinating to me how people change when they are here.  My favorite exchange is the awkward quick smile, the one that you give each other when you pass in the hallways, don't really have anything to say, but need some way to acknowledge each other.  It's hilarious.  People look like they're twitching.  I find myself doing it, too, trying desperately to think of something to say to this person I just met and know very little about. 

As you can tell, I'm not as busy as I was the past week.  There is no way I would have had time to write to you last week.  And, truth, I liked being busy.  It was such a change from the past, um, months.  Today is slow.  But that's a good thing.  It means I kicked butt so hard the past five days that I don't have anything left to do today.  My project is going to the graphics department, and untli they put it all together and it's time for us to do quality-control, there's not much for me to do.  I'm debating who to ask for more work.  I am definitely interested in staying busy.  It makes the days go faster.  It makes me feel like I should wake up and come.  Today I slept through all my alarms and still woke up in time to get here with no problem, but I know myself: I did that because I knew there wouldn't be as much to do today.  I have to stay feeling busy and productive and important or I'll start acting the opposite, and then I've sabotaged myself. 

The good news is that I'm better at playing the game of myself.  Am I the only person this crazy?

m

0 comments: