Thursday, June 15, 2006

I Came Inside Her Head

If you're confused and frightened by the title of this post, you should be. This is one of many deliciously sexual comments made tonight during "Total Geekout 2006," otherwise known as Margaret's-heading-back-to-New-York-on-Friday party. This particular gem was made by the inimitable Mat, whose idea it was to corral the Pittsburgh remnant into the same place for an evening of beer, pizza, and Soul Calibur III.

It was a blast. The fact that I'm typing this at 5 AM tells you the kind of fun it was.

This is an old ritual for this particular group, all of whom are part of the production company for "Hunt for the Holocron." We go all the way back to the first Soul Calibur, which tells you two things: 1) We've been working on the movie a long time, and 2) We'd rather play Soul Calibur than work on the movie.

Only because it's inevitable will I say that yes, indeed, the soul still burns. I got my butt summarily kicked, but I have always and will always hate Sophitia, so no news there.

It's always an adventure getting the movie crew together. I'm not really a "group of friends" kind of person, so the situation is always a little awkward for me. A guy I knew in Florida named Jeffrey talked constantly about his friends from back home in Texas. He talked about them so often that even though I only met them maybe once or twice, they became my friends too. They were all best friends, had known one another since birth, had dated each other, gone to high school together, etc... Jeffrey's entire life was spent in the company of a group, a pack, a tribe, and they were as much a part of him as he was of them.

I can honestly say my first friendship that wasn't pre-arranged or manufactured by my parents didn't come until I was in 8th grade. No joke, it took me that long to figure it out, and ever since I've found myself attracted to individuals and intimate interactions. I'd much rather conversation over dinner with a good friend than party night with a 'gang.' Not that I'm a stiff - it's just my wheels roll better in the company of one.

Regardless, tonight was great fun. I bought a six-pack of Miller Lite and enjoyed all six of them in rapid succession. Tipsy is always good, and nothing beats drunken Soul Calibur. Margaret, Luke and I hit Eat 'n Park after the responsible contingent had to go to bed. While waiting for our water with lemon to come, she pulled out the digital camera and we made funny faces and pretended to cut each other with the butter knives. Behind us sat three heavy-set truck drivers, tattered men who regarded us with a mix of suspicion and curiosity, and every time the flash went off I caught them looking at us with a sort of indescribable, melancholy look.

I felt bad for them. I think they'd forgotten how to be silly.

Birds are chirping. Soon the sun will come up (it rises ridiculously early this time of year). Best to shut the eyes before day breaks over the windowsill

Until next time,

martin

0 comments: