Thursday, May 25, 2006

Enterprise

I get to rent a car today!

The Honda has gone from making a low whimper to a constant, shrill scream, and like a baby at a fancy restaurant I just can't take it anywhere. The right-front brake sounds like hot metal-on-metal action, and so I'm taking it in tomorrow morning at 9 AM (jesus nine in the morning fucking hell) and then Enterprise is coming over to pick me up and take me to my temporary new car.

I've never rented a car before. My little rental-car fantasy is that they'd have all the regular cars out front but then, upon seeing me, they'd give me the special handshake and guide me down past all the regular people who drive Chevy Aveos and Pontiac G6s and we'd take an elevator down to the "basement" where they keep the Maseratis and the Ferraris. I pick a red one, drive out from behind a bush, and I'm on my way...

We'll see how it pans out. I've got a busy couple of days coming up. Fortunately I have some paying work, which will feed me until I can find some more paying work. In the meantime, I'm about to start working on the manuscript for my newest piece, "Ride the Wind," this awesome new rag that I wrote. I hope it makes a splash at Sedalia!

You know you want to,
Martin