Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Bacon?

I became a fantasy writer the day I had nothing left to write about my senior prom.

It is so difficult for me to write a story. I have to constantly remind myself that being a writer isn't about getting it right the first time, it's about getting it right eventually. Revision feels like cheating for some reason, like I should've been good enough to know the first time.

Yesterday was the first time in my life that I really felt like a writer. For the past three weeks I've been working on a story called 'The Clearing,' featuring a character I've been contemplating for awhile named 'Nione.' After working out the story with Mat (story-god that he is... him and that sexy muse), it took two all-night writing sessions to pound the bacon, so to speak, and get it written. Fast-forward to yesterday, sitting in class and frankly basking in positive comments from other students. I had affected these people, had transported them somewhere else for 15 pages and they actually enjoyed it! What a neat feeling... like giving a piano concert with lots of applause at the end. Very satisfying.

Now all I have to do is top that story with another that's even better, which is a paralyzing way of thinking and I should stop right now. To wit, I had an awesome writer's conference tonight with Mat and he worked his magic again, hammering out the next chapter in Nione's evolving story. Now all I have to do is piece it together, make it work, and bring it to life. Wish me luck.